Self-care is oftentimes associated with selfish behavior. This type of mentality usually makes us feel guilty for even thinking about taking a break from our everyday lives to do something that, simply put, makes us feel better and improves our mental health.
We’re all familiar with the saying “You can’t pour from an empty cup”, but how often do we actually take heed to those words? I, myself have been guilty of this. But I had to learn to make myself a priority. No matter how fancy the term “self-care” may sound, it is extremely crucial to our mental, emotional, and physical well-being.
When it comes to carving out the time to practice self-care, consider this: You probably don’t engage in it often enough, which in turn means that you are left feeling tired, run-down, and overwhelmed. Therefore, honey, it’s time to treat yo self!
25 Self Care Ideas
1. Turn off your phone for a few hours, and totally unplug.
2. Have a mini pamper session.
3. Go for a long walk, or run.
4. Start a gratitude journal. Write down 3 things you’re grateful for each day.
5. Indulge in some retail therapy.
6. Treat yourself to your favorite dessert.
7. Buy yourself some flowers.
8. Close your eyes and listen to some relaxing music.
9. Create a vision board for yourself.
10. Call someone you love and have a meaningful conversation.
11. Curl up on the couch or bed and read a good book.
12. Take a much-needed nap.
13. Plan a fun weekend for yourself and your partner.
14. Do something you love.
15. Sleep in on the weekend.
16. Spend some time in the sun.
17. Have a girls’ night in, and pop a few bottles.
18. Cuddle with your favorite person (or pet).
19. Engage in some aromatherapy. Burn your favorite candle or diffuse some essential oils.
20. Watch a stand-up comedy show, and laugh out loud.
21. Enjoy the outdoors. Sit on your porch or patio and just soak it all in.
22. Take a day off of work if needed.
23. Take several deep breaths. Inhale deeply and exhale slowly.
24. Journal. Get it all out on paper.
25. Lie in the grass and watch the clouds.
Lastly, don’t wait until you can “fit it into your schedule” to take some time for yourself. Start immediately, and make it a part of your regular routine. Trust me, my friend, you won’t regret it!
Lasonia B Graves is a lifestyle blog where I share stories about my journey as a wife and mother.
I am also a full time virtual assistant. I help entrepreneurs and small business owners free up time so that they can focus on growing their business.