Stuffed peppers are a favorite in my household. My husband requests them quite often. The recipe for this soup is actually very simple. You’re simply taking all of the ingredients of a traditional stuffed pepper, and making it into a soup.
And I have to say that this soup is so delicious. It makes for a very hearty and flavorful meal. It is also a very thick soup that has the consistency of a stew, so it is sure to fill you up. I do believe that this will become a new favorite in our house. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did.
1 – pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 – tablespoon olive oil
1 – cup chopped onion
1 1/2 – teaspoons minced garlic
½ – teaspoon garlic powder
1 – red bell pepper cut into ½ inch strips
1 – green bell pepper cut into ½ inch strips
1 – yellow bell pepper cut into ½ inch strips
1 – 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 – 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 – 14.5 ounce can beef broth
2 – tablespoons Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
2 cups cooked white or brown rice
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and cook until browned, breaking up into smaller pieces with a spatula. Season meat with salt and pepper.
2. Sautee onion and garlic in skillet for 2 or 3 minutes or until softened.
3. Transfer meat along with onion and garlic to a large pot.
4. Add the bell peppers to the pot of meat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. One by one add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, Italian seasoning and garlic powder to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
6. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
7. Lastly, stir the cooked rice into the soup mixture. You can season it with a little bit of salt and pepper as desired. Top with parsley if desired and serve.
Lasonia B Graves is a lifestyle blog where I share stories about my journey as a wife and mother.
I am also a full time virtual assistant. I help entrepreneurs and small business owners free up time so that they can focus on growing their business.