These turkey taco lettuce wraps make an easy, low carb dinner that your family is sure to love!
As of late, I have been trying to choose healthier options when preparing meals for me and my family. One of the things that I have done, is to cut back on the amount of breads and carbs that we consume.
Mexican foods are a favorite around here. So now we can enjoy Taco Tuesdays without the guilt. This dish is a hit with my family, and I am sure you will enjoy it too.
When it comes to taco fillings, the possibilities are endless! Here are the most basic options:
Veggies: Tomatoes, Red Onions, Corn
Fruits: Avocado, Jalapenos, Black Olives
Cheeses: Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Queso, Nacho
Extras: Sour Cream, Refried Beans, Black Beans,Black Olives, Guacamole, Salsa, Hot Sauce, Cilantro, Pinto Beans, Tortilla Strips, Pico De Gallo, Refried Beans
The leftover turkey mixture should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and consumed within three days.
1 lb ground turkey
1 yellow or white onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Pinch of salt and pepper ( to taste )
Romaine lettuce leaves (or your choice of lettuce leaves)
Shredded Mexican style cheese, diced Roma tomatoes, diced red onion
*Diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream, – optional
1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add turkey and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook thoroughly.
3. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, tomato sauce and chicken broth.
4. Reduce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes until sauce has reduced.
5. Serve mixture over lettuce leaves, and add desired toppings.